Wednesday, August 19, 2009

About this Blog


First and foremost: I'd like to express my boundless appreciation for the great director Fritz Lang and his classic works of cinema, especially Metropolis and M. The work created for this blog is in no way intended to criticize or improve upon his original work, for surely it holds a place among classic films like Citizen Kane and Casablanca that no reinterpretation can or should try to replace.

My reasons for approaching this body of work as a redesign of the original film is merely a response to my personal geekdom for the film: I draw it because I love it. Secondly, I have heard reports of the rights to this film being purchased with intent to remake it, and I must say I am not at all averse to the idea of this happening. I personally thought that Peter Jackson's update of King Kong was great at recapturing for a modern audience the spectacle and thrill that the original audience experienced. Needless to say, though, any remake would need to have a profound respect for the original work, stay as true to the plot as possible, and yet not be a soulless cut and paste job but to infuse a new approach to the work.

The main reason for creating this body of work is to expand my concept art portfolio, improve my Photoshop and hand drawing skills, build endurance to redrawing the same elements, and to demonstrate my professional capabilities with an aim to work in the entertainment industry as a concept artist.

I hope you enjoy my work,

Nathan Heigert

No comments:

Post a Comment